Priority Youth Project Liverpool


People to talk to

Whatever the problem, there'll always be someone who can help.

These pages are here to help you find the right person to talk to, to get the right help and support for you.

Childline is a good place to start, why not have a look at their 'Ask Sam' problem page, to see what problems other young people are facing, and get some help yourself.

Remember your youth and play workers are there to give you support, advice and to listen, we believe 'A problem shared is a problem halved'.

If you know an adult who needs help or advice, the Citizens Advice Bureau is a great place for them to go. For online advice see their Adviceguide or find your local bureau here.  

Advice & Guidance



ChildlineWhat to do if you are Being Bullied


If you or someone you know is being bullied, the most important thing is always to tell someone. Whether it’s a parent, a guardian, a relative, a teacher, a youth worker or by calling Childline, telling someone is the quickest and safest way to make bullying stop.

Remember that bullying comes in many different forms. Childline lists a few ways in which bullying has been described:

  • Being called names
  • Being put down or humiliated
  • Being teased
  • Being pushed or pulled about
  • Having money and other possessions taken or messed about with
  • Having rumors spread about you
  • Being ignored and left out
  • Being hit, kicked or physically hurt
  • Being threatened or intimidated

These things can happen in person or online, in school, at home or anywhere else.

Being bullied can make you feel upset, worried, lonely and scared, but telling someone will make it stop. Remember that being bullied is NEVER your fault.

To talk to someone now, call Childline on 0800 1111

To find out more about bullying, and get some online support, visit and

If you’re worried about cyber bullying, have a look at and


Back to Menu


Advice on Drugs, Smoking and Alcohol

If you’re feeling pressured to smoke, drink or take drugs, it’s important to make sure you’re well informed, understand the risks and have someone to talk to for advice.

I'm worried about drugs...

FRANK is a great site to visit for information on drugs. It features an A-Z of drugs, emergency help with what to do if you’re with someone who has a bad reaction to drugs, a directory of places to go for help and a live webchat service for quick, confidential advice.

You can also call FRANK on 0300 123 6600 or get a quick answer to a question by texting 82111

Addaction also offers help and support to young people worried about drugs, struggling with drug addiction or affected by drug use at home. Find your local Young Addaction centre here.

Merseyside Youth Association offers an ‘OKUK’ counselling service for young people aged 10-19 whose lives are becoming difficult through drugs and alcohol. Find out more here.

I'm worried about alcohol...

For information on alcohol visit Drinkaware. This site features an alcohol unit and calorie counter, a test to assess whether your relationship with alcohol is healthy and advice on how to cut down or stop drinking.

Childline has some useful information on when you can legally drink alcohol and what alcohol does as well as a page on what to do if you’re worried about your parents and alcohol.

I'm worried about smoking...

If you’re worried about smoking, have a look at this information from Childline, on why people smoke, what happens when you smoke and how to quit smoking.
For information from the NHS on stopping smoking, try Smokefree.

Back to Menu


Worried About Your Health?

If you’re worried about your health, or have questions about your body, there are people you can talk to for help. If you think something is wrong, you should make an appointment with your GP, you can find your local GP surgery here. Remember that…

If you’re worried about your health, or have questions about your body, there are people you can talk to for help.

If you think something is wrong, you should make an appointment with your GP, you can find your local GP surgery here.

Remember that you can make a GP appointment for yourself by phoning the surgery, or by going in and speaking to the Receptionist. You don't need your parents to make an appointment for you, and you can go to your appointment alone, though you may prefer to take somebody with you.

If you have a more urgent problem, or if you want to have your symptoms assessed by a professional before you make a GP appointment, you can call the NHS advice helpline on 111. Please note that this is not the emergency line, and if you need an ambulance you should call 999.

If your GP surgery is closed, or you need help with a problem that cannot wait but is not serious enough for A+E, you may want to visit a Walk-In Centre. Find out what can be treated at a Walk-In Centre, and where you’re local Centre is here.

The NHS 111 advice helpline may be able to advise you on whether A+E or a Walk-In Centre is more suitable for you.

If you have a non-urgent question about your body, you could ‘Ask Dr. Ann’ on the ‘Teenage Health Freak’ site.

If you’re a teenager and you’re worried about your health, your body or puberty, you might want to visit these sites: is a good place to visit for general health advice and information.

BBC Radio 1 offers information about your body and your health

If you’re not quite a teenager yet, you might want to have a look at Childline’s My Body section.
For more information on health and your body from Liverpool Youth Service, visit our page on Drugs, Smoking and Alcohol.

Back to Menu

Going To See Your GP

If you’re worried about your physical or mental health, you may want to visit your GP. A GP is a ‘General Practitioner’, a doctor who knows about all areas of health, and will either be able to help you with your problem themselves, or will…

If you’re worried about your physical or mental health, you may want to visit your GP.

A GP is a ‘General Practitioner’, a doctor who knows about all areas of health, and will either be able to help you with your problem themselves, or will refer you on to somebody else who can help.

You should already be registered with a GP, but if you’re not, you can register by contacting your local surgery. They will give you a form to fill in, and may ask you to make an initial appointment for a general health check-up. Find your local surgery here.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Do I need my parents to make an appointment for me?

No, you can make an appointment for yourself. Your parents don’t need to know, though you might want to take somebody to your appointment with you if you’re nervous. You can make an appointment by either phoning or going into the surgery. See “How do I make an appointment?”

How do I make an appointment?

You can make an appointment by either phoning or going into your GP surgery. If you’re not yet registered with a GP, you will need to do that first.

When you make an appointment, you will speak to the surgery receptionist. Tell them that you would like to make an appointment, if you have a particular doctor you would like to see, you could tell them that too. Otherwise they will give you an appointment with the doctor who has the earliest free slot. Seeing any doctor will give you a better chance of being seen quickly.

You may also ask to see a male or female doctor, though remember that whatever the problem is, a doctor will never make you feel uncomfortable or embarrassed- they’ve seen it all before!

The receptionist will offer you a selection of times, so you can choose an appointment that suits you. Remember though that GP appointments can be in quite short supply, so you may need to wait a week or more before your appointment. If you think your problem is too urgent to wait that long, you can ask about ‘Emergency Surgery’ times, when usually you will sit in the waiting room until the doctor can see you. Otherwise you can visit a Walk-In Centre instead (see “What is a Walk-In Centre?”).

When you have made your appointment, make sure you write down the date and time, keep it somewhere safe and make sure you don’t forget when your appointment is. If you are unable to get to your appointment, or if you feel better before it, phone the surgery and cancel. This won’t be a problem; it will mean they can give your appointment to somebody else.

What is a Walk-In Centre?

Walk-In Centres provide advice and treatment for minor illnesses and injuries. Examples include: minor infections and rashes, stomach upsets, superficial cuts and bruises, strains and sprains, coughs, colds and flu-like symptoms.

They usually have much longer opening hours than GP surgeries and are open at weekends and Bank Holidays. Walk-In Centres are a good option if you need to be seen by a doctor or nurse that day, and you will have to wait too long to see your GP, or if your GP surgery is closed.

Can a GP help with a problem that isn’t physical?

Yes. If you’re feeling unhappy, stressed, anxious, or if you’re struggling with any other mental health problems, your GP is the place to go. They may refer you on to a counselling service or, in some cases, prescribe you medication. DocReady is a great site to visit in preparation for your GP visit.

How will my GP help me?

That depends on what your problem is. They may prescribe you some medicine, refer you on to a specialist or just reassure you that you will get better without medical help. If you find that your problem does not go away, you can always make another appointment. Your GP should be able to tell you roughly how long you should expect your problem to last.

What will happen at my appointment?

When you arrive at the surgery for your appointment, you should let the receptionist know that you’re there. Give them your name and your appointment time, then take a seat in the waiting room and wait until you’re called in by the doctor.

Your appointment will normally last about ten minutes. The doctor will ask you to describe your symptoms and may ask to examine you or run some simple tests, depending on the nature of the problem. If your problem is related to your genitals (penis, testicles, vulva or vagina) the doctor may need to examine you, but don’t be embarrassed, doctors really have seen it all before! Remember that you can ask to see a male or female doctor if you wish.


Should I see my GP if I think I have a Sexually Transmitted Disease?

Yes. Your GP is there to help, and will never judge you. For more information on what to do if you think you have Sexually Transmitted Disease, see ‘Sexual Health’

Can I ask my GP for contraception?

Yes. If you’re thinking about having sex, it’s very important that you’re safe from pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease. Your GP will be able to advise you on the best contraception for you. Your GP can provide you with a suitable form of contraception even if you are under 16, and your parents do not need to be informed.  


Back to Menu

I am a Young Carer

Do you look after, help or support an adult or young person with an illness, disability, addiction or mental health condition?

Being a young carer can be stressful and isolating, and it is important that you get the support you need. Youth workers, teachers and social workers are always there if you need some help or someone to talk to, but there are other sources of support too.

Barnardo's Action With Young Carers Project is based in Liverpool and designed to support young carers by providing a safe place to have a break from caring, take part in free activities and meet other young carers.

NHS Choices has a Young Carers Hub with a page on how to tell if you are a young carer and lots of information on Caring and your life. is a brilliant website, with Forums, Blogs and an Agony Aunt page, as well as lots of information and advice for young carers. If you have a personal question about being a young carer, you can submit a question directly to their Online Youth Workers here.

If you're aged 16-30, Caring Alone is a great source of support and information, including forums and relevant news stories.


Back to Menu

Sexual Health

Whatever you're looking for in Liverpool - whether it's condoms, contraception, STI testing, pregnancy testing, referral for abortion or some support and advice - you can find out about it using the links below.

Most services are free, and all are confidential. There are services for all ages, including under 16 year olds.

Chlamydia is the most common (curable) Sexually Transmitted Infection in the UK in men and women. There are usually no obvious signs that you have it because it can stay hidden for months or even years. If left untreated, Chlamydia can lead to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and infertility. If caught early it is easily treated with antibiotics. The local Chlamydia Screening programme can advise you about being tested and treated for Chlamydia in Liverpool so if you’re not sure about where to go or have questions call- 0151 227 1471

Sexual Health Liverpool is commissioned by Liverpool City Council's Public Health Department, as part of a range of sexual health and contraceptive services within the city. The site has been produced to help you find out where to go for sexual health and contraception information, advice and treatment in Liverpool.

You can get tested and treated in confidence at the following places whatever your age, including under 16s. Click the links for further info:

Brook London Rd, City Centre

For all under-25s. STI testing is on: Tuesday 1.30-4pm and Thursday afternoon 1.30 – 4pm
Chlamydia screening at all times (see link for opening times)

GUM - Liverpool Centre for Sexual Health - Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot St

Genitourinary Medicine Department offering testing and treatment for all STIs, all ages.
Rapid HIV testing available (result in 20mins).+

Student Health Centre Mount Pleasant, City Centre

Drop-in service providing testing and treatment for most STIs (Click on link for more info).

Central Abacus The Beat, 6 David Lewis Street, Liverpool, L1 4AP

Testing and treatment for Chlamydia - all ages
testing for Gonorrhea, HIV and Syphilis - all ages

Monday–Thursday: 10am–6pm
Friday 10am-4pm
Saturday 11am-4pm
Sunday 12 noon-3pm

Back to Menu

Staying Safe Online

The internet is an exciting place for young people to learn, get advice and chat with friends. As we use the internet for so many different things it makes sense to 'stay safe' online just as you would in the real world.

Here are some hints and tips for safe surfing...


keep your passwords safe and don't tell anyone else

Be careful in chat rooms - even though it might say it is only for young people, there is no way of telling how old people really are

Keep your settings on private on social networks. It is really easy for people to clone your profile if it is public, and anyone can see your photographs, contact info etc, never reveal any personal information to anyone you dont know e.g. your name, address, school, email or mobile number.

Use a nickname instead of your real name in chat rooms or when chatting with anyone online

Leave the chat if you feel uncomfortable or worried. Make sure you tell someone you trust if you have an experience like this online.

Never send photographs of yourself to anyone, once you click send you cant get them back, and the internet is a really big place.

log out of websites before you leave a computer so no-one can pretend to be you

The links below will provide you with more tips and practical information to help you use the internet safely.

ChildNet - This website is full of information on how to stay safe online.

Child’s Privacy Guide - A complete guide to protecting a child’s privacy online.

Digizen - Here you can find advice for young people and parents as well as information on cyber bullying.

Childline - Childline have a section on their website which offers lots of advice on safe surfing as well as social networking and mobile phone safety.


Back to Menu

Mental Health

Mental Health Services for Children & Young People

Samaritans (116 123) operates a 24-hour service available every day of the year. If you prefer to write down how you’re feeling, or if you’re worried about being overheard on the phone, you can email Samaritans at


Childline (0800 1111 ) runs a helpline for children and young people in the UK. Calls are free and the number won’t show up on your phone bill.


PAPYRUS (0800 068 41 41) is a voluntary organisation supporting teenagers and young adults who are feeling suicidal.


Depression Alliance is a charity for people with depression. It doesn’t have a helpline, but offers a wide range of useful resources and links to other relevant information.


Students Against Depression is a website for students who are depressed, have a low mood or are having suicidal thoughts. Bullying UK is a website for both children and adults affected by bullying.


The Sanctuary (0300 003 7029) helps people who are struggling to cope - experiencing depression, anxiety, panic attacks or in crisis. You can call them between 8pm and 6am every night.

Liverpool FRESH CAMHS (Alder Hey Childrens NHS Foundation Trust)

Liverpool FRESH CAMHS is a service for children/young people (aged 0-18) and their families/carers who are struggling with how they are feeling, thinking or the way they are doing things. This service especially helps those whose difficulties are getting in the way of being able to manage everyday life and relationships. Telephone 0151 293 3662
for further information

RAISE Team (Mental Health Promotion) Merseyside Youth Association

The MYA RAISE team specialise in the promotion of mental health and resilience to children & young people. They work in partnership with CAMHS, schools and youth groups to deliver a variety of projects and events. As a team, they strive to improve the knowledge and understanding of mental health amongst children and young people. For further information please contact 0151 702-0700- email-

ADHD Foundation

Works in partnership with individuals, families, doctors, teachers and other agencies to improving emotional wellbeing, educational attainment, behaviour and life chances through better understanding and self-management of ADHD, ASD and related learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, Erlin's Syndrome, dyscalculia and Tourette's.

Tel: 0151 2372661 Email:

Mersey Care – NHS Foundation Trust

Mersey Care offer a range of assessment and intervention services for young people in Liverpool aged 14 and above who are dealing with a range of emotional and mental health difficulties. Our specialist community and hospital based mental health services can be broadly categorised into offering assessment and interventions to all over 16s and some over 14s.

Assessment services in Liverpool North Liverpool GPs - Assessment and Immediate Care Service, Clock View Hospital, 2a Oakhouse Park, Walton, Liverpool, L9 1EP., Tel: 0151 330 7207:

South Liverpool and Central GPs – Access service Broadoak Unit, Thomas Drive, Liverpool, L14 3PJ Tel: 0151 473 0303 Young people can be seen on the same day as referral if need and or risk indicates.

North Liverpool CMHT, Community Hub, Norris Green, Falklands Approach, Norris Green, Liverpool L11 5BS Tel: 0151 479 3810

YPAS - Young Person’s Advisory Service

YPAS provides a wide range of support and therapeutic interventions to address the mental health and emotional well-being difficulties of children, young people, parents/carers and families. For further information: Tel: 0151 707 1025


YPAS Central Hub: 36 Bolton Street, L3 5LX
YPAS Plus South Community Hub: Lyndene Road, L25 1NG
YPAS Plus North Community Hub: Croxdale Road West, L14 8YA
Further information on Children and Young people’s mental health and emotional wellbeing in Liverpool can be found at

Counselling services for children & young people

Oakleaf is part of Liverpool Bereavement Services, Liverpool Bereavement Service is a counselling service for the people in the Liverpool Borough who have been affected by a death. Oakleaf is a Children and Young Peoples. Counselling Service for the children of Liverpool and surrounding Merseyside area’s who have been affected by a death, separation or other loss. For further information:
Tel-0151 236 3932



Place2Be is the leading children’s mental health charity providing in-school therapeutic and counselling support to improve the emotional wellbeing of pupils, families, teachers and school staff aged 4-14years. Place2Be provides emotional and therapeutic services in primary and secondary schools, building children’s resilience through counselling, creative work and play. Place2Be works with 257 primary and secondary schools, reaching a school population of 105,000 children, helping them to cope with wide-ranging and often complex social issues including bullying, bereavement, domestic violence, family breakdown, neglect and trauma for further details contact:
Office line: 02079235500


NSPCC Liverpool

Currently 3 projects for children and families Parents under Pressure:

1. Home visiting parenting programme for substance using parent with a child under 2 years Non accidental head injuries.

2. A joint public health project with Liverpool Women’s Hospital to prevent non accidental head injuries to babies. Family Environment Drug Using Families.

3. A group work programme for children living with substance misuse that runs alongside a programme to help the parent to recognise and address the impact of their lifestyle on their children. For further information: Tel: 0844 892 0264

Back to Menu

Back to Top


Need to get in touch? then please use our contact form or call us.


Supported by and working in partnership with

Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Terms & Conditions